5 Strategies to Boost Motivation During the Cold, Slow Season Amidst a Pandemic
It’s hard enough to get through the slowest month of the year for most businesses (February) under normal circumstances; let alone during a pandemic. After nearly a year of adapting to this “new normal” way of life, many of us are secluded at home and in front of a screen for hours at a time. Working in this environment with little to no contact with coworkers, no team building events, group meetings, etc. has surely taken its toll on all of us. On top of that, many people are facing challenges with mental and physical health due to these circumstances. All of these things add up and can really affect our ability focus and stay motivated.
Here are 5 strategies to boost motivation during the cold, slow season amidst a pandemic:
- Create a list of goals both personal & professional, and remind yourself of your goals daily. In order to stay focused, we need to keep our eyes on the prize. We must have a sense of direction in order to stay on track.
- Don’t procrastinate. It can be easy when working from home to dilly-dally, or put off assignments until the last minute. This will inevitably reduce the quality of your work, and leave you feeling unenthusiastic about the fruits of your labor. It’s important to “keep the ball in motion”; the harder you work up front, the easier the momentum will continue.
- Stick to a schedule. It’s important to have a routine and keep on schedule to stay focused. This will make sure that you don’t leave any tasks incomplete, and that you give yourself ample time to complete your list of to-do’s.
- Celebrate your wins. People are often motivated by the feeling of pride one gets after completing a successful project. We all love that feeling of payoff after a job well-done. Focusing on this feeling will help inspire you to keep up the hard work. Make sure to relish in those moments of success, and celebrate your victories. Take time to celebrate your coworkers’ successes too in order to help them stay motivated as well.
- Take time for yourself. Make sure to take care of yourself physically & mentally with diet, exercise, adequate sleep, and social interaction. It’s critical that we stay heathy during these difficult times, as we “cannot pour from an empty cup.”
While it’s especially hard to stay motivated during slow season in a global pandemic, follow these tips to improve your motivation during these extraordinary times. And, remember to show yourself and others patience, kindness, and encouragement.